Saturday, June 20, 2009

Another day in Ireland

So, after we stayed in the Atlantic B & B, it was off to the Cliffs. Oh my, sheer bluffs, raging seas, the buffeting winds straight down to the ocean. This is not a beach you lay in the sun and drink umbrella drinks. The power in the air is incredible. The cliffs are rock, the churning water, and the rocks below.

Later, one of the locals told us that people are always falling off the edge of the cliff. They go up to the edge to get a picture and the wind blows them off. The Burren was next. Flat rocks with big cracks in them. In between the cracks, wildflowers grew. I have never seen anything like it, except in Hawaii at the lava flows.

Had a wonderful evening. We went to a concert in an Anglican Church featuring Irish music. There was a harp, a whistle, a fiddle, something that looks like a bagpipe and a guitar. This church had a graveyard beside it. Some of the markers were from the early 1700's. Very, very cool and kinda creepy because some of the graves had collapsed on themselves. Two young ladies played the harp, the fiddle and the whistle. They also sang songs in Irish. Quite lovely, later two gentlemen played the bagpipe thing and the guitar. I don't normally like the bagpipe, but this was totally different, very haunting.....exquisite!

When we went to get the car, it was lock up. HA,HA, I laughed, but not to worry, the lock hadn't been locked, so we just opened the gate, drove out and home we went. Staying at another B&B-

The Harbour House. Lovely people. I was ill most of the night, a little weak today, but I am going to make it.I have tried several times to post pictures to no avail, so I guess I will have to wait until I get home, sorry everyone.

Off to the Blasket islands off the coast of Dingle. I hope to see the puffins there!!!

No comments: