Sunday, June 27, 2010

Quilt politics???

I didn't realize that there are quilt politics until yesterday. There I was minding my own business eating my lunch during my break and WHAM I get hit with quilt politics. Less you think I have lost my mind here is a little background.

One of the ladies, let's call her lady A, at the shop did a quilt called Swirly Girl in mid March. Mind you, our sessions run Jan-May, June-Aug, and Sept-Dec. So the earliest she could teach this class would be in June. But she decides to take all of June of and part of July. Mean while, another of our teachers begged off at the last minute for the June-Aug session because her husband was ill. Literally, the schedule was done and really to go to print. Lady B-the sick husband-does a lot of classes for us, so this left a huge hole in the schedule. So, T.-the shop owner-knows that I am in the process of making Swirly Girl for my sister, so she asks me if I would be willing to teach it this summer. Sure I say but what about lady A who made this quilt in March. Answer-she is gone most of the summer and I need classes to run my shop. Makes sense, no classes=slow business. So I say ok. Later I find out Lady A is upset.

At lunch lady C-who also teaches at the shop and does quite well and already has 4 classes this summer-informs me that SHE was the one responsible for the Swirly Girl pattern being brought into the shop,and the fabric that I had used, SHE had talked T into bringing in and, well she guessed that you snooze you lose. Come on, if lady C had really wanted to teach this class this summer all she had to do was list it for T when T was doing the schedule. I wasn't asked until the last minute after all the rest of the schedule had been done. Wow, didn't know one little quilt would cause so much drama. I refuse to be brought into all of this. I didn't find all this out until after I had done the quilt and the schedule was posted.

The quilt did turn out quite nice and Chrystal likes it, so that is all that matters.

That's all I got to say about that.

2 comments:

Becky said...

For goodness sakes, I had no idea that quilt shops could have so much intrigue! I'm sure it'll all blow over. Smart move not getting involved though!

ldupbeat said...

Politics are everywhere, crazy as it may seem. What is even crazier is when your not into the "politics" but somehow people involve you anyway as if you were.